Welcome to %s forums

BrainModular Users Forum

Login Register

Poly Bot and friends.

How do you use usine?
Blaakk

Post by Blaakk » 17 May 2014, 03:37

Just thought I'd share some of the things I've been messing about with in Usine Hollyhock. Made a start on creating a 'poly bot' as shown in other thread. Actually progressed and had it filled with samples, but somehow messed up the Polyphony again. The sequences are moving upwards initially, and in a dreamy relaxed polyrhythmic manner. Will be able to concat combinations, until the Polybot gets his frown on and turns strict, syncing things up a little more rigidly. (Then he'll get tired, then agititated, and then tired, and so on, allowing for a to-and-fro type performance).Image
I'm on my umpteenth attempt at creating some loopers with character. It's 'Juicy Loops' atm, just RC51 mods with extra controls, and pulsing animations so far. Aiming to mix from one looping unit to the other and back. Only intend to improv (unless data harvesting). Found the older 'Loop Royale', the 'King' being strictly bar synced, the 'Queen' being a more able sampler (like her chess counterpart), the Jesters being synched locally to the queen, not giving too much care, and the 'sync patrol' oscillator at the bottom giving me a visual check on any latency. And the earlier FCB Boy. An 'couple more hours' progressed version is underneath.

And the Grid...
Totally blown away by the way it kills any unused racks very smoothly (I had built a lot of cue and kill switches which was a big waste), it's practically as big as you want it, and the fact that it looks like a huge block of stacked 'Jolly Rancher' type sweeties!

edit: first image is fine, 2nd image not showing. I used the same method for both. :)

ceasless

Post by ceasless » 17 May 2014, 09:37

These poly bots are awesome :D

Will you make them available as add-ons? Speaking of which, probably another topic better suited to the 'add ons' section.

ceasless

Post by ceasless » 17 May 2014, 18:21

Then again, this Poly Bot is also definitely "making art with Usine", and in a very cool way. I would really love to hear what it sounds like.

Your second picture wasn't displaying last time I looked, but now it is and -- wow! That workspace looks like a ton of fun. I hope you will be making all these toys available :D

Blaakk

Post by Blaakk » 18 May 2014, 03:19

Sweet! Glad you dig them!

I shall be making these available. :D

magickz

Post by magickz » 22 Aug 2014, 06:58

Blaakk , you are a masterful interface designer :) I already wondered how precisely you place everything in the Juicy loopers. I could do that with CSS or whatever, but in Usine I still did not figure out how to do that in a quick and easy way.

But, there seems to be a problem with your soundcloud. When I click the link I get the message: "Sorry! We can't find that user."

Blaakk

Post by Blaakk » 23 Aug 2014, 12:11

Why thank you. See.... I'd probably get stuck on the CSS. :)

Oops sorry. Me and my name changing. Here are some correct links....

https://soundcloud.com/blaakkeye

Although the most recent.... it's getting wrinkles. Here's some unfinished, heavier stuff.... https://soundcloud.com/blaakk / and some darker stuff.... https://soundcloud.com/darkk-audio

magickz

Post by magickz » 24 Aug 2014, 07:27

Maybe I am too spoiled. I miss a kind of magnetic grid, layers and alignment function, and the possibility to move a whole group of elements a few pixels to another place, without touching each of them separately :) but, maybe I still have to discover it. when using the mouse to move an object, sometimes they spontaneously change their dimensions. so, I guess from my point of view it requires a lot of diligence and patience. but for sure, one day I will know the trick :) Yesterday I just found the "containers", that is already a great help to copy groups of objects.

Thanks for the links - now following all of them ... :-) I like that heavier stuff... Are you making most of your music with Usine?

Better don't listen to your new followers' stuff, it is still rather some kind of noise experiment than music ;-D I believe before I can learn about music, I must learn the software... but, unfortunately in some weeks there is no time for that...

iococoi

Post by iococoi » 24 Aug 2014, 08:33

+1 on layout helpers. there is a snap-to-grid available, but that's very rudimentary and just covers the position, not the actual dimensions. what i would like to see is something like the smart guides/snaps available in some Adobe products like illustrator or firewoks.

magickz

Post by magickz » 24 Aug 2014, 09:26

aha. that sounds good. thanks for the hint. I will search the manual for the snap-to-grid feature.