Welcome to %s forums

BrainModular Users Forum

Login Register

Matrix Pack official thread

Let's talk about free additional packs
Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » 30 Mar 2010, 02:25

23fx23 wrote:how do you do bt patch?
Thanks for sharing - that's a much different way of looking at at than my solution... very clever! I did it the hard way with logic and patching for each cell. The difference is mine is fully mono, meaning I can sweep a finger across the cells and it'll track beautifully with ONLY a single cell lighting. In yours if I press and sweep across the cells several cells light up and get carried over to the storage matrix, then reimported to the initial matrix - not ideal, but there might be a way around it?

Also, for some reason the bitmap out of the second matrix isn't feeding in to the first matrix for me? Not sure why that is? I haven't setup v5.13 usine yet, but I wouldn't have thought that'd be the problem?

how would you use setarray for this?

Anyway, here's a link to my complicated frankenstein solution:
Matrix Selector v1 patch

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » 30 Mar 2010, 03:17

Ok, I think I've solved my problems
:
- the bitmap thing was because I had the squares in the front matrix set too large to show the squares underneath... I'm not really awake today...

- I think I've solved the sweeping issue by changing the how the '0 to 1' module is used, but the patch tends to freak out and hang if I sweep too fast for too long, not sure why that is. Also, it uses more cpu than my painstakingly put together v1 patch. The advantage here though is that it can be expanded to more cells without too much difficulty....

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 30 Mar 2010, 13:10

yup, and this is one equivalent should work with unlimited nb of cellz, a bit less wiring:
check variation of mean array, if >0, acts like if a cell was swiched from 0to1.

martignasse
Site Admin

Post by martignasse » 30 Mar 2010, 13:18

wow, some interesting discussions here :)

i'll try to answer quickly... but i have to study some internal stuff to see what can be included inside the module.
Clearscreen wrote:So much to learn about this module! I've hacked together a solution using patching to make the matrix 'mono' (ie only having a single cell lit at a time - if i press a new cell it turns all other offs) but I thought this would be better done in the module (or possibly in a script with a feedback loop to the array input?). Any thoughts on this guys?
It should be possible to add an exclusive mode...maybe in the 'mouse mode' list or in 'edit layout' options.
There is so so much things to add 'inside' the module that we have to see if it's better inside the module, or by script in a feedback loop...
23fx23 wrote:between, related to that, i find a bit strange that on above patch, if i clic some cells, the step array set on only clicqued cell, as you see ie here (like i want,cool), one bar is up. this is feedback to matrix but matrix don't update correctly, no cellz light up. (note i forgot to relink the wire out of array to matrix, i just deleted to debug, but it there, imagine) iguess this is a pb of "modes".
well, i agree that data's manipulation can be very tricky, but it's maybe just a matter of making a solid collection of utils scripts or patch for common task.

for an exclusive mode by patch, try this ;)
and it's pretty easy to make a script version :) just translate the math involved into a script !
dont' know if see what i mean, i would like to have matrix like it was N cellz with data/color/caption input and mouse down,indexes output, but not having any action on data or color just like if it was some usine img/panels.(build in modes are nice for lot of cases, but an absolute control on input is full modular to extend) we could make nice thingz.
please please an"outside"mode.
hehe, paradoxical...
you are describing a completely and only visual component, but we are discussing about including a max of data processing into the module.
That's the real question about future evolution...find good balance between these two mode.

@Clearscreen
here is the same patch with draw mode compatibility
Martin FLEURENT - Usine Developer - SDK maintainer

martignasse
Site Admin

Post by martignasse » 30 Mar 2010, 13:26

23fx23 wrote:yup, and this is one equivalent should work with unlimited nb of cellz, a bit less wiring:
check variation of mean array, if >0, acts like if a cell was swiched from 0to1.
http://www.sensomusic.com/forums/upload ... no%20B.JPG
and a very clever one here :cool:

at least, we have to explore all these patch possibility before 'build in' a behavior into the module.

what should go in utilities patch/script, and what should go inside the module....
hard question but i want to limit the complexity of the module by adding only most complex behavior, the rest should go in utils.

anyway, good job guys
you help me a lot by exploring all these area

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 30 Mar 2010, 13:36

martignasse wrote:you are describing a completely and only visual component, but we are discussing about including a max of data processing into the module.
i see what ou mean, that need reflexion.

note what i speak about would not only be visual, it would still output mouse down and indexes, then we deal the "process" outside. i really feel modular would be higly extended by script or patching.
im not keen on pgm, for me it wouldn't need hard refinding, that would be a clone of fade mode, with matrix locked to not not interracting on values/colors, kind of swich on matrix seting the values or not, if not letting the user control ie matrix colors feeding both on and off colors, and independantly values, well probably easier to say than to do ;)

i got my hsl array scripts ready btw ;)

edit: yup i think lot of cases can be easy done "external", that's why i hammer that much on an outside mode, to not bother you later
with any build in, we will then be able to script or patch any behaviour.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » 31 Mar 2010, 02:03

Thanks for the help guys - these solutions are great!! Learning a lot going through this stuff - I'll try to do my first ever script using Martin's last maths solution later today I think.

i have to say that's one thing I love about Usine, there's always a solution - and usually more than one :D

bsork
Site Admin

Post by bsork » 01 Apr 2010, 10:59

If anyone's interested, I've created a script extends the single/exclusive cell ideas above. To reduce CPU when used on large matrices, I don't reset the whole matrix, column, and/or row, but instead keep track of the previous cells.

[c]
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// To be used with the Matrix user module to turn other cells as selected by the mode parameter:
// - cell : only one cell on in the whole matrix
// - column: only one cell on per column
// - row: only one cell on per row
// - col/row: mixture of "column" and "row"
//
// NOTE:
// - Changing mode clears the matrix.
// - With the matrix' mouse mode = "fade" the clearing of other cell(s) takes place when the
// mouse button is released. (Maybe something to work on - both behaviours could be useful?)
// - With the matrix' mouse mode = "draw", this script doesn't work very well, but "column"
// and "row" might be useful despite the slightly weird behaviour.
//
// bSork, March 2010
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

VAR pArrIn, pArrOut, pMode, pNumRows, pNumCols, pLastCol, pLastRow, pMouseDown : tParameter;
VAR mode, numCols, numRows, lastCol, lastRow, lastIn : Integer;
VAR cols : ARRAY OF Integer;
VAR rows : ARRAY OF Integer;
VAR first, clicked : Boolean;

PROCEDURE Init;
BEGIN
pArrIn := CreateParam('cells in', ptArray); SetIsOutput(pArrIn, FALSE);
pArrOut := CreateParam('cells out', ptArray); SetIsInput(pArrOut, FALSE);

pMode := CreateParam('mode', ptListBox); SetIsOutput(pMode, FALSE);
SetListBoxString(pMode, '"cell","column","row","col/row"');

pNumCols := CreateParam('num of cols', ptDataFader); SetIsOutput(pNumCols, FALSE);
SetFormat(pNumCols, '%.0f'); SetMin(pNumCols, 1); SetMax(pNumCols, 128);

pNumRows := CreateParam('num of rows', ptDataFader); SetIsOutput(pNumRows, FALSE);
SetFormat(pNumRows, '%.0f'); SetMin(pNumRows, 1); SetMax(pNumRows, 128);

pLastCol := CreateParam('last click col', ptDataFader); SetIsOutput(pLastCol, FALSE);
SetFormat(pLastCol, '%.0f'); SetMin(pLastCol, -1); SetMax(pLastCol, 127);

pLastRow := CreateParam('last click row', ptDataFader); SetIsOutput(pLastRow, FALSE);
SetFormat(pLastRow, '%.0f'); SetMin(pLastRow, -1); SetMax(pLastRow, 127);

pMouseDown := CreateParam('mouse down', ptSwitch); SetIsOutput(pMouseDown, FALSE);

first := TRUE;
clicked := FALSE;
END; // Init

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

PROCEDURE NewMode;
VAR i : Integer;
BEGIN
mode := round(GetValue(pMode));
FOR i := 0 TO (numCols - 1) DO cols := -1;
FOR i := 0 TO (numRows - 1) DO rows := -1;
lastIn := -1;
IF (NOT first) THEN
FOR i := 0 TO (GetLength(pArrOut) - 1) DO
SetDataArrayValue(pArrOut, i, 0.0);
END; // NewMode

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

PROCEDURE DoUpdate;
VAR newValue : Single;
VAR lastClicked : Integer;
BEGIN
IF (lastCol >= 0) THEN BEGIN // clicking within the matrix module but not in a cell returns -1/-1
lastClicked := lastRow * numCols + lastCol;
newValue := GetDataArrayValue(pArrIn, lastClicked);
IF (newValue <> 0.0) THEN BEGIN
IF (mode = 0) THEN BEGIN // Single cell
IF ((lastIn >= 0) AND (lastIn <> lastClicked)) THEN
SetDataArrayValue(pArrOut, lastIn, 0.0);
lastIn := lastClicked;
END
ELSE BEGIN
IF ((mode = 1) OR (mode = 3)) THEN BEGIN // column or col/row
IF (cols[lastCol] >= 0) THEN
SetDataArrayValue(pArrOut, cols[lastCol] * numRows + lastCol, 0.0);
cols[lastCol] := lastRow;
END;
IF ((mode = 2) OR (mode = 3)) THEN BEGIN // row or col/row
IF (rows[lastRow] >= 0) THEN
SetDataArrayValue(pArrOut, lastRow * numRows + rows[lastRow], 0.0);
rows[lastRow] := lastCol;
END;
END;
END;
SetDataArrayValue(pArrOut, lastClicked, newValue);
END;
END; // DoUpdate

PROCEDURE Callback(n : Integer);
BEGIN
CASE n OF
pMode : NewMode;
pNumCols : BEGIN
numCols := round(GetValue(n));
SetArrayLength(cols, numCols);
IF (NOT first) THEN BEGIN
SetLength(pArrOut, numRows * numCols);
END;
END;
pNumRows : BEGIN
numRows := round(GetValue(n));
SetArrayLength(rows, numRows);
END;
END;
pLastCol : BEGIN
lastCol := round(GetValue(n));
clicked := TRUE;
END;
pLastRow : BEGIN
lastRow := round(GetValue(n));
clicked := TRUE;
END;
pMouseDown : clicked := TRUE;//IF (GetValue(n) = 1.0) THEN clicked := TRUE;
END;
END; // Callback

PROCEDURE Process;
BEGIN
IF (clicked) THEN DoUpdate;
IF (first) THEN BEGIN
NewMode;
first := FALSE;
END;
END;
[/c]
Bjørn S

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 01 Apr 2010, 11:42

woa master bsork that look very interesting, will study that !, thanks a lot for sharing.

martignasse
Site Admin

Post by martignasse » 01 Apr 2010, 12:07

Really good job bsork :cool:

I'll see what can be done to make it work in draw mode (maybe have to modify some internal behavior...)

bsork
Site Admin

Post by bsork » 01 Apr 2010, 15:51

Thanks for the nice words, guys! Regarding the draw mode, I actually think it's working technically speaking, but the mixed behaviour of the matrix and the script both turning off cells makes it appear rather confusing.

Anyway, here's another go where I've fixed the fade mode behaviour. Now the effect on the other cells is immediate when clicking in a new cell.

[c]
//
// To be used with the Matrix user module to turn other cells as selected by the mode parameter:
// - cell : only one cell on in the whole matrix
// - column: only one cell on per column
// - row: only one cell on per row
// - col/row: mixture of "column" and "row"
//
// NOTE:
// - Changing mode clears the matrix.
// - With the matrix' mouse mode = "draw", this script doesn't work very well, but "column"
// and "row" might be useful despite the slightly weird behaviour.
//
// bSork, March 2010

VAR pArrIn, pArrOut, pMode, pNumRows, pNumCols, pLastCol, pLastRow, pMouseDown : tParameter;
VAR mode, numCols, numRows, lastCol, lastRow, lastIn : Integer;
VAR cols : ARRAY OF Integer;
VAR rows : ARRAY OF Integer;
VAR first, clicked : Boolean;

PROCEDURE Init;
BEGIN

pMode := CreateParam('mode', ptListBox); SetIsOutput(pMode, FALSE);
SetListBoxString(pMode, '"cell","column","row","col/row"');

pNumCols := CreateParam('num of cols', ptDataFader); SetIsOutput(pNumCols, FALSE);
SetFormat(pNumCols, '%.0f'); SetMin(pNumCols, 1); SetMax(pNumCols, 128);

pNumRows := CreateParam('num of rows', ptDataFader); SetIsOutput(pNumRows, FALSE);
SetFormat(pNumRows, '%.0f'); SetMin(pNumRows, 1); SetMax(pNumRows, 128);

pLastCol := CreateParam('last click col', ptDataFader); SetIsOutput(pLastCol, FALSE);
SetFormat(pLastCol, '%.0f'); SetMin(pLastCol, -1); SetMax(pLastCol, 127);

pLastRow := CreateParam('last click row', ptDataFader); SetIsOutput(pLastRow, FALSE);
SetFormat(pLastRow, '%.0f'); SetMin(pLastRow, -1); SetMax(pLastRow, 127);

pMouseDown := CreateParam('mouse down', ptSwitch); SetIsOutput(pMouseDown, FALSE);

first := TRUE;
END; // Init

PROCEDURE NewMode;
BEGIN
mode := round(GetValue(pMode));
lastIn := -1;
IF (NOT first) THEN
FOR i := 0 TO (GetLength(pArrOut) - 1) DO
END; // NewMode

PROCEDURE DoUpdate;
VAR newValue : Single;
VAR lastClicked : Integer;
BEGIN
IF (lastCol >= 0) THEN BEGIN // clicking within the matrix module but not in a cell returns -1/-1
lastClicked := lastRow * numCols + lastCol;
newValue := GetDataArrayValue(pArrIn, lastClicked);
IF (mode = 0) THEN BEGIN // Single cell
IF ((lastIn >= 0) AND (lastIn <> lastClicked)) THEN
SetDataArrayValue(pArrOut, lastIn, 0.0);
lastIn := lastClicked;
END
ELSE BEGIN
IF ((mode = 1) OR (mode = 3)) THEN BEGIN // column or col/row
IF (cols[lastCol] >= 0) THEN
SetDataArrayValue(pArrOut, cols[lastCol] * numRows + lastCol, 0.0);
cols[lastCol] := lastRow;
END;
IF ((mode = 2) OR (mode = 3)) THEN BEGIN // row or col/row
IF (rows[lastRow] >= 0) THEN
SetDataArrayValue(pArrOut, lastRow * numRows + rows[lastRow], 0.0);
rows[lastRow] := lastCol;
END;
END;
SetDataArrayValue(pArrOut, lastClicked, newValue);
END;
END; // DoUpdate

PROCEDURE Callback(n : Integer);
BEGIN
CASE n OF
pArrIn : clicked := TRUE;
pMode : NewMode;
pNumCols : BEGIN
numCols := round(GetValue(n));
SetArrayLength(cols, numCols);
END;
END;
pNumRows : BEGIN
numRows := round(GetValue(n));
SetArrayLength(rows, numRows);
END;
END;
pLastCol : lastCol := round(GetValue(n));

pLastRow : lastRow := round(GetValue(n));

pMouseDown : clicked := TRUE;
END;
END; // Callback

PROCEDURE Process;
BEGIN
IF (clicked) THEN DoUpdate;
IF (first) THEN BEGIN
NewMode;
first := FALSE;
END;
END;
[/c]
Bjørn S

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 01 Apr 2010, 16:19

bsork wrote:I actually think it's working technically speaking, but the mixed behaviour of the matrix and the script both turning off cells makes it appear rather confusing.
that's an example of what i mean by needing an "oustside" mode , matrix not interacting as the script/external patching would control in an absolute way, to avoid such confusing i often get also.

sorry to hammer matin, you know i love the matrix!!!!

didn't tried yet but that excusive mode per row/column/total seems very exciting!!!

bsork
Site Admin

Post by bsork » 01 Apr 2010, 18:16

23fx23 wrote:that's an example of what i mean by needing an "oustside" mode , matrix not interacting as the script/external patching would control in an absolute way, to avoid such confusing i often get also.
I didn't mean that the fact that the visuals and the internal data show the same causes any confusion. It's more two behaviours that don't go too well together. The matrix in draw mode will turn cells on and off depending their current state, while the script also will turn off (other) cells, especially with the col/row mode which turns off other cells both horizontally and vertically. What I'm not quite sure of, is whether the matrix turns the current cell on or off depending on it's current value or on some separate, internal "status" value.
Bjørn S

martignasse
Site Admin

Post by martignasse » 01 Apr 2010, 19:23

@23fx23
Don't worry, it's your job to sell me this concept of 'outside mode' ;) and you make it well
But it's mine to not accept it by default :D and try to explore all alternatives before make a choice

@bsork
I'm agree with your statement about inside and outside behavior, it's an important part of the problem here and with data manipulation in general.

Actually, the matrix module maintain an internal array of cells values.
In draw mode, the cell under the mouse (when mouse down or mouse move) is evaluated from this internal array and the 'draw cell val' to turn the cell ON or OFF.

note that your last version work well in 'draw mode' :cool:

Anyway, i think we just have to continue to explore by script or patch for now.
Sometime in the future, i'll take time to review all these jewels and decide what can be integrated inside the module.

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 02 Apr 2010, 03:39

@martin ok hehe i let down for a while:))
sorry for my bsork misunderstanding.

martignasse
Site Admin

Post by martignasse » 08 Apr 2010, 22:24

Hi all,

I just posted the 1.1 version of the Matrix Pack in the download section :)

News are, for the user module :
- cells values are preserved when changing ‘NumOfCols’ off the matrix.
- new layout option to make cells OFF transparent.
- corrected a bug on mouse move when in draw mode.

and for utils and example patches :
- added MX_scroll_horiz util patch.
- added MX_exclu_mode util patch.
- added matrix_scroll_horiz_example patch.
- added matrix_exclusive_mode_example patch.
- added Sequenaya_lite example patch.

Hope you like it ;)

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 08 Apr 2010, 22:28

yeahhhhh

nay-seven
Site Admin

Post by nay-seven » 08 Apr 2010, 22:48

yes!!
great job martin and bsork !
thanks a lot !

nay-seven
Site Admin

Post by nay-seven » 09 Apr 2010, 11:13

now , a little request :
( don't know if it's for guru script or for martin )
i would like to randomize the fade values of only active cells...
an idea ..?

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 09 Apr 2010, 22:10

Hey bsork i tried your script "selective" and this seems very cool.

hoewer here it work partially, the cell mode is ok, but not col / row modes, only working on first row/col, is it normal?

bsork
Site Admin

Post by bsork » 09 Apr 2010, 23:39

23fx23 wrote:Hey bsork i tried your script "selective" and this seems very cool.

hoewer here it work partially, the cell mode is ok, but not col / row modes, only working on first row/col, is it normal?
No. It worked when I tested it, but that was with a very simple patch with only the script and a matrix. Do you have anything else connected in between the script and the matrix in some way?
Bjørn S

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 10 Apr 2010, 00:11

mmm o yup i retested, the first script you posted is ok, the second will work only once per row/col..

bsork
Site Admin

Post by bsork » 10 Apr 2010, 00:23

nay-seven wrote:now , a little request :
( don't know if it's for guru script or for martin )
i would like to randomize the fade values of only active cells...
an idea ..?
If I understand you correctly, something like this script:
[c]
VAR pArrIn, pArrOut, pRandomize : tParameter;

PROCEDURE Init;
BEGIN
pRandomize := CreateParam('randomize', ptButton); SetIsOutput(pRandomize, FALSE);
END; // Init

PROCEDURE Callback(n : integer);
VAR len, i : Integer;
BEGIN
IF (n = pRandomize) THEN BEGIN
len := GetLength(pArrIn);
SetLength(pArrOut, len);
FOR i := 0 TO (len - 1) DO
IF (GetDataArrayValue(pArrIn, i) > 0.0) THEN
SetDataArrayValue(pArrOut, i, random)
ELSE
END;
END;

//no process
[/c]

Connect a Pass If Changed between Cells Out of the script and Cells In on the matrix.

I had a quick try with modules, but the Random module only generates a single value, so every active cell get the same value, which I suppose it's not what your after(?). However, under Data/Random Generators you'll find the Random Pattern Array script, which can be used, or you might have a go at combining the two scripts into one.

Actually, I didn't notice the existing script before writing my own, but you can use an A>B on the array out from the matrix and multiply the output of that with the randomized array, and you'll get values only for cells with non-zero values.

What you might also consider is to add something that makes sure that the randomized values never are 0, or else the cells will not be randomized in the next round.
Bjørn S

bsork
Site Admin

Post by bsork » 10 Apr 2010, 00:34

23fx23 wrote:mmm o yup i retested, the first script you posted is ok, the second will work only once per row/col..
Just retested myself, and it looks ok to me. To be sure we're dealing with the same code, I even copied the code from this thread. Hm, mysterious...

Well, time to go to bed, I suppose.
Bjørn S

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 10 Apr 2010, 00:41

mm strange indeed, restested now it works, sorry i must have made something wrong..

bsork
Site Admin

Post by bsork » 10 Apr 2010, 00:51

Good to know it worked out for you.

Ooops - forgot to go to bed... :P
Bjørn S

nay-seven
Site Admin

Post by nay-seven » 10 Apr 2010, 11:52

fantastic sir bsork !!
no problem with my sequenaya , works really fine ,cool to humanize the velocity of sequence ( with vsti who accept it correctly )

now I've try to figure how to set it in the last 23fx 's baby but no way , i can succeed to have it graphically on the matrix ,i can have it on the midi note , but not the 2 , or if i can , new note will be deleted with the next random..

so 23fx if you can help me on this , i suppose it will be faster for you..?:D

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 11 Apr 2010, 00:14

sorry i missed your post nay, yup i can try to have a look. im trying to make the same loop start & end as sequenaya, then will try to
check that random, but more complicate as i got in fact all infos in a bigger virtual matrix, not main used matrix, but seems doable with some tweaks..

martignasse
Site Admin

Post by martignasse » 13 Jun 2010, 15:25

hello all,

i know i'm late, but i didn't forgot to work on the matrix...

so a little teaser to show you how things are coming along
you can see some HSL colors array and captions array populating the matrix :cool:

-basic colors and captions implementation are done, i have to polish that and make some heavy test.
-multi touch part isn't done yet

hope you like it

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 13 Jun 2010, 20:19

YYY EEE AAAA HHHH