BrainModular Users Forum

Login Register

Matrix Pack official thread

Let's talk about free additional packs
martignasse
Site Admin

Post by martignasse » 14 Sep 2010, 09:50

23fx23 wrote:i noticed a light but i can't find how trigged:

got patchs with a matrix of 1x4 that returns arrays of 16?
can you reproduce, or provide an example patch to reproduce ?

with your intensive use of the matrix, i'm happy that you may found some bug ;)
Martin FLEURENT - Usine Developer - SDK maintainer

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 14 Sep 2010, 11:21

well i guarantee you ive made a reaaaallly intensive use of matrix recently martignasse, especially in my liveosc patch.
everything are matrixs ;).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgf7nXyLGJ8
and the beast is awesome powerfull I can scroll with inertia inside a 16x32 matrix without problems impressive.
also made a "bird wiew" of 128x32, not in the video , again no pb.

It was geting a bit slow on 32x16 with captions and rounded (normall i think hehe) but i found the trick of using IML to swich them off via LAYOUT procedure, then on only when scroll is finished. work like a charm high speed then.

the only tiny bugs ive found so far, (if ever they can be called bugs), is that if dynamically changing size of column ie,
borders colors and cell colors if feed with a 1 size array single)won't redraw the new cells if extended. not drastic but i have to often fill arrays to correct, where a one size could be enough, any possibility to get a redraw if size change?

the other is something that is really rare but more annoying is that size thing..the pb is i didn't tracked yet when it occurs.
feel something related to presets or i don't know...
have a look at the 8x automs addon, there are two small matrix, i think they have this pb, i needed to put a setarray size
on output, otherwise they output 16size array instead of 4, but only sometimes..

martignasse
Site Admin

Post by martignasse » 14 Sep 2010, 12:20

ok, cool, i'll try to track and resolve these issues for the next version.

but if you find some simple patch to reproduce, send them to me

edit :
hoooo yes, your upcoming liveosc version is very, very impressive and you push the matrix module so far :o

that why i'm happy you just found one or two minor bugs :D

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 14 Sep 2010, 12:48

i pushed it much more since the time of that video you l see !
yes it's pretty stable and rocky, master pgming module :cool:

i ll try to find ya simple patchs. the boders/cell color. can be easy reproduced. make a color in on borders, no array just color. save the patch, reopen and and change mx nb of cols or row by increasing . I investigate on the size stuff. ill let ya know, btwn i only seen it once or two on my 1000x uses so...

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 14 Sep 2010, 14:22

I couldn't help making a little vid how hard i make matrix suffer ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM7IGu9P9Eg

bsork
Site Admin

Post by bsork » 14 Sep 2010, 14:31

Now that's pretty wild!:D
Bjørn S

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 14 Sep 2010, 14:37

hehe

martignasse
Site Admin

Post by martignasse » 14 Sep 2010, 14:49

wow, i'm curious about how many script you made to implement all these features, lots of thing to extract in a generic way

... i really love the map window :cool:

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 15 Sep 2010, 15:11

sorry martin i missed your post.

yep in fact i got some 2 scripts that compute inertia sroll/zoomm for X ans Y in 01 range i remap to my NB_tracks nb_clips, and one main script thats stores all datas from osc and reupdate 'smaller' matrix from the complete matrix also used as
the 'map'. yeah im quite happy of the map, work like a charm, the surounded rectangle has been done
with an overlay using new draw object connections availability so that's quite low cpu vs my first borders colors attempt; the trycky part was to keep a local mapping of scroll when touching down matrix, but also being controllable in an absolute way via scroller and/or bird view. and each one chang need to update the other and if zooming have to adapt the scroll for being centered and correct limited and vice versa.

ill see if i can extract for a more generic use in usine. can be cool for sequencers or others matrix based, but afraid
would better rebuild all , abit weird messy actually. but keeping concepts. exept inertia (that need imo to be accurate a sampling over time to check velocity XY before released, and should prevent cell activating while scrolling, a lighter system suggested by senso is checking deviation from mousedwn to mouse release, but less accurate.) that's not that hard to rebuild now
i know what to do, and it's a piece of cake for ya i guess ;) , finally just some usual i+scrollY,j +scrollX, lenzoomY, lenzoomX ..

but it's true i would love to see a generic script for such setup, after long experiments, it s one of the more pleasant to use.
can swich beetween big adapted for touch cells or global overview with ultra fast and 'natural' nagigation options.

my personnal monster ideal generic MX script would be this (XY inertia local/absolute scrolling with global map)+ Bsork multimode (one, per col, per cell) activation system+ my usual prefered XYZ cell system (XY relatives values+ separate toggles per cell)... some hard work in perspective but once done could be reused and adapted for tons of uses.
ill try to get over it once live OSc, wich i will rename to Live Matrix V2 (to thank ya for this killer module) will be finished...
but if ya got some ideas and want go for one, result would be cleaner if that's yours probably ;)

gurulogic

Post by gurulogic » 20 Sep 2010, 06:46

Any ideas how I can make the cells momentary, as in they only output a value and stay lit while pressed or have a value input?

nay-seven
Site Admin

Post by nay-seven » 20 Sep 2010, 09:30

check my addons padayan_v2 or midipadayan_v2( in the options menu ), I've add a moment feature, maybe can suit your needs..

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 20 Sep 2010, 09:55

will check nay teck i do like this for momentary:

nay-seven
Site Admin

Post by nay-seven » 20 Sep 2010, 10:08

really clean solution 23fx !
sadly don't work with draw mode...?

gurulogic

Post by gurulogic » 20 Sep 2010, 10:40

thanks! I think 23fx way works better for me cause the nay way resets all pads and with the 23fx way I can still take over the cells with incoming messages at the fader inlets, or maybe even with the array inlet if I find a way...
Hopefully this is the start of a Monome emulator a...Matrixnome? :)

I''ll take any further questions to the patching forum but that was the important one...

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 20 Sep 2010, 10:45

indeed won't work in draw mode (maybe the edit mode should behave the same as draw and update indexs as well martin ?)
here is a tiny more complex solution for draw mode, recreating the draw behaviour

@ guru: imo you should avoid contolling via fader + array and do all the job with array, would be more clean even if
there are no rules in usine. . try to catch the set/getarrayelement behaviours, then you will be able to do pretty what ya want.
don't hesitate if question, i think we are a few who spent time on matrix and arrays already, so can make you earn some time ;)

@ martignasse: here are my two little requests:

A) index updates like draw mode in edit mode (no worries if too complex)
B) redraw colors when changing size, more often annoying in my cases as i got to fill lots of arrays to compensate and feel
it has a certain impact on cpu when intensive use. here is a simple patch showing the pb:
the patch showing what i mean

if not to complex, that would rock for me as my live matrix patch use a lot dinamyc resize on several matrix of consequent sizes :)

nay-seven
Site Admin

Post by nay-seven » 20 Sep 2010, 11:10

great for the matrixnome project !

@23fx, i ll keep your solution for some circumstances ,but with this one , i can play only one note ..?

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 20 Sep 2010, 11:15

you mean want that an enabled cell stay on when going on next one? then on release do they stay or all reset?

nay-seven
Site Admin

Post by nay-seven » 20 Sep 2010, 11:17

i second 23fx on the B , I've also problems with that ..

nay-seven
Site Admin

Post by nay-seven » 20 Sep 2010, 11:18

yes, reset on release ;)

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 20 Sep 2010, 11:19

i guess you meant such behaviour nay , but that's probably the tek ya use already : (draw mode on mx).

btw I really looove the new way module get reduced, that's insane cool. great job olivier!!!

nay-seven
Site Admin

Post by nay-seven » 20 Sep 2010, 11:31

yes, more or less ( i often found more complex solution than i need..:D.)

and yes i second that too

martignasse
Site Admin

Post by martignasse » 20 Sep 2010, 17:44

23fx23 wrote:@ martignasse: here are my two little requests:

A) index updates like draw mode in edit mode (no worries if too complex)
B) redraw colors when changing size, more often annoying in my cases as i got to fill lots of arrays to compensate and feel
it has a certain impact on cpu when intensive use. here is a simple patch showing the pb:
the patch showing what i mean

if not to complex, that would rock for me as my live matrix patch use a lot dynamic resize on several matrix of consequent sizes :)
A) i understand, but are you sure the actual behavior will not miss if i change it ?
it will force you to externally store the index when mouse down if you want to simulate a toggle mode...
the best solution is maybe to have both, like 'edit draw' and 'edit toggle', i don't know...

B) yes, i know, it's THE THING i didn't finish to release the 1.2 version earlier :|,
it's more complex than it seems, i'll try to found a solution for the next update has it will be a 'performance optimization' update :)

but you'll have to wait a little... i have some other priorities ;), like a 'matrix - audio mixer' for example

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 20 Sep 2010, 18:53

yes no worry i can wait. cool news for the perf update,

for A) that's a good reflexion i had also but I don't think it s a problem in most cases, cause actually drawmode let pass the cliqued cell index only while mouse is down, so it's totally possible to make a toggle externally if i clic on 5 and set to reverse value of prev5, but indeed can be boring in the case we want select a cell, then that mouse y controls something, index will change while
being not wanted. we can then use a pass or affect frommouse0 to 1, but can be repetitive...
...so dual mode is probably the more modular and user friendly choice if ya feel it's not too complex...

B) there is not a REDRAW procedure ;) ?

take your time im waiting anyway still lot of work on livematrix, but near the beta stage ;)

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 24 Sep 2010, 14:59

hey martin, sorry another little request :)

would that be asy to extend 128 limit to 256 or 512?

im using it for my 'map' feature, i know it sound like a huge matrix, but actually im preloading a 48x128.
48 tracks is far enough in most situation, but 128 could be a limit for nb of scenes, i got few livesets with more than 128 scenes.
since i update it only a short pulse when loading is done, it seems cpu correct.
mmm or maybe a futur "pixel draw" user module would do a lighter job for such purpose ?(gonna make some requests to caco hehe)... anyway, just to know if their is an easy editable 'max rows ' constant ;).

but take your time, ill post my beta with a 128 setup, just for later...
looking so see that powerfull matrix audio mixer ;)

soundmind

Post by soundmind » 02 Nov 2010, 03:10

Let me begin by saying that the matrix module is IMO one of the best additions to usine. But, I dont know if this has been mentioned but the matrix does not store its values in the conductor. Am i missing something? thanks.

soundmind

Post by soundmind » 04 Nov 2010, 08:18

Thanks again for this essential module. I have two small requests if it is possible.

1) In fader mode,would it be possible to use the mouse wheel to scroll the values like usines fader module?

2) In its current state when you have a populated matrix in draw mode and drag the mouse to draw in values, the cells that are on turn off and the cells that are off turn on. Would it be possible to implement a mode to draw each cell on or off regardless of its state? An idea to determine if the draw turns them on or off could be based on the state of the first clicked cell.

thanks.

martignasse
Site Admin

Post by martignasse » 04 Nov 2010, 17:00

1) In fader mode,would it be possible to use the mouse wheel to scroll the values like usines fader module?
good one, it put it on my todo list :)
2) In its current state when you have a populated matrix in draw mode and drag the mouse to draw in values, the cells that are on turn off and the cells that are off turn on. Would it be possible to implement a mode to draw each cell on or off regardless of its state? An idea to determine if the draw turns them on or off could be based on the state of the first clicked cell.
ye, i see what you mean, but maibe better to add a draw mode for that (like 'invert') ?
added too anyway

Thanks for the feedback

martignasse
Site Admin

Post by martignasse » 04 Nov 2010, 17:03

soundmind wrote:Let me begin by saying that the matrix module is IMO one of the best additions to usine. But, I dont know if this has been mentioned but the matrix does not store its values in the conductor. Am i missing something? thanks.
oops, missed this one :| sorry

can you confirm and send me a .wkp reproducing ?
(mfleurent -AT- free -DOT- fr)

soundmind

Post by soundmind » 04 Nov 2010, 20:50

martignasse wrote:can you confirm and send me a .wkp reproducing ?
Well it can be easily reproduced. Just load a matrix into a fresh wkp and try to store its state to the conductor. I did notice that it does store in a preset manager though.

Thanks.

soundmind

Post by soundmind » 05 Nov 2010, 01:09

here is another problem i noticed.
Here is the patch. Included are a few presets which change the size of the matrix array but notice how the new size number is not reflected in the array size module between the "[ ]" where the array size should display? It seems to have a mind of its own and has a tendency to jump to 70 but what is more strange is that the error is not always reflected in the output fader. To get these results sometimes it is necessary to repeatedly click on alternating presets with different stored array sizes but the error seems to be consistent at times. Hope this helps.