Welcome to %s forums

BrainModular Users Forum

Login Register

Filter Pack Official Thread

Let's talk about free additional packs
caco

Post by caco » 06 Sep 2010, 10:08

Official thread for discussing my Filter Pack, which originated in the thread here. For more information about the pack see the wiki page.

Feel free to post any feedback, ideas, support or other questions for discussion.

Have fun :)

senso
Site Admin

Post by senso » 06 Sep 2010, 11:03

cool add-on pack, will be a masterpiece!

caco

Post by caco » 06 Sep 2010, 14:37

Thanks Senso, I am looking forward to hearing what people do with these filters in Usine :)

nay-seven
Site Admin

Post by nay-seven » 06 Sep 2010, 16:57

we gone to have good sound and low cpu...thanks caco !

btw, are you the Martin Eastwood of the mverb..?
if yes , first :good one , love it
then : we share a friend : novaflash ..;-)

caco

Post by caco » 06 Sep 2010, 17:38

Yes that is me, I wrote mverb along with a few other plugins I have done. Glad to hear you like it :)

Novaflash was very kind and did cool graphics for mverb for me

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 06 Sep 2010, 17:38

ill very soon make an intensive use of those great filters and graphical curves for sure!
I needed some way to represent Live Eq in usine, that falls perfectly, now got all the curves i needed!
and I have few usine audio patch that were awaiting some friendly filters. perfect
thanks a lot Caco!
glad to see some sdk men sharing'
keep the good work'

soundmind

Post by soundmind » 07 Sep 2010, 04:16

these filters are indeed very nice. Thanks for these and thanks for mverb as well. About the filters...does anyone else get CPU spikes when adjusting the faders? Other than that these filters are perfect. thanks.

caco

Post by caco » 09 Sep 2010, 11:23

Updated the Filter Pack to v1.01 to include an example showing how to control the filters using an xy-pad by kindly provided by nay-seven. I've also updated the release notes on the wiki as well.

The filters haven't changed so no need to update from v1.0 unless you want to play with the example :)

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 09 Sep 2010, 11:52

im just trying them they are very cool and lot of possibilities.now time to make some patchs with them!

senso
Site Admin

Post by senso » 09 Sep 2010, 16:05

yes they sound very good, and it's the most important, congrats!!!!!

The ultimate improvement could be to he an array outlet which contains displayed bin's of curves, like the the native Usine filter module.
In order to be able to draw them as we want?
But it's far away from a priority...

gurulogic

Post by gurulogic » 10 Sep 2010, 21:13

Very good indeed! These have fully addressed some of my Usine needs and I will use them a lot. I might just end up running everything through the state variable filter with the gain pre-input turned down -3dB. For some reason iffy quality input audio comes out the other side sounding golden even with no eq adjustments...Happy colour! Plus the option of post processing the individual frequency ranges is way cool. Some pitch fx on the mids and delay on the highs....:)

I would like to see a little more full featuredness of the state variable eq, ie:-24dB option, adjustable Q and frequency. My first attempt at using it as a quick and easy dj style eq finds the cuts not enough and the midrange a bit narrow for my taste. Otherwise I will definately be using it regularily for basic eq tasks. Thanks and keep up the great work!

caco

Post by caco » 10 Sep 2010, 21:27

The state variable filter is my own version with some special sounding non-linearities added into the feedback pathway to add a bit of magic to the sound :)

Unfortunately the state variable eq cannot really be modified from its current structure, for a more flexible eq try using the biquad shelves and peaking filters. Maybe I should build an example 3-band eq from them as a sub-patch and add it to the pack as an example?

gurulogic

Post by gurulogic » 10 Sep 2010, 21:33

Might not be a bad idea to build an example patch. Now that you have pointed me in the right direction I think I will also try for myself (still just first exploring these:) )

gurulogic

Post by gurulogic » 10 Sep 2010, 21:43

yep, state variable filter = automagic master filter. Seems to automaticly scoop out offensive upper midrange sounds, add some harmonics and I could swear I hear some compression...?
This module might make me lazy....

caco

Post by caco » 10 Sep 2010, 22:00

gurulogic wrote:yep, state variable filter = automagic master filter. Seems to automaticly scoop out offensive upper midrange sounds, add some harmonics and I could swear I hear some compression...?
You spotted some of my dsp tricks :P

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 10 Sep 2010, 22:44

yep there are so much thinks to test with those great babies.
indeed native splitting bands is juicy for fxs, quick tried a band sidechain ducker and a simple synced lfo letting lp of one track while muting the other*ect very nice results, also tried to chain up to 6 bitmap for 6 eqs plots, a bit slow down but very descent.
will be great with the coming next selected balls array of XY pads.
really happy, can build the wide variety of psyche fx i wanted kind of old antares filter / volcano usine special.
just a Q; have to play around with maper curve when using linear input, is there a specific value we should enter for freq?
any idea what's the simplest math conversion /usine patching for log conversion?

oli_lab

Post by oli_lab » 05 Dec 2010, 20:28

hi everyone,

I've been experimenting with multihead delay simulation and what would be great is to have a filter to remove the very low end of the feedback signal.
in puredata, it is possible to set a biquad to zero so it cuts the DC build up but couldn't find anything similar on Usine..
http://oli-lab.org

Win10 I7/16GB RAM - RME MADIFACE - SSL alpha link 4-16 - OSC capable interfaces

follow OLI_LAB adventures on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/OLI_LAB/3 ... 506?v=wall

caco

Post by caco » 06 Dec 2010, 10:27

Hi oli_lab - Well a DC offset is technically a signal of 0Hz so to remove it you need to highpass filter your signal at a cutoff above zero.

Ideally you want this cutoff to be as low as possible so you don't remove your sub-bass, so normally you would highpass somewhere around 20Hz. using a steep filter. There is no reason for this filter to have to be a biquad, any suitable highpass filter would be sufficient. Usine's built in filters go down to a cutoff of 50Hz, as does my SVF highpass so give these a try first. If this cutoff is too high then you can try playing with the filter's resonance to make it a sharper frequency rolloff around the cutoff, otherwise maybe I need to try and improve the stability of my filters to a lower frequency?

Let us know how you get on :)

oli_lab

Post by oli_lab » 06 Dec 2010, 13:03

hi Caco,
I had a go with the 50Hz HPF, but it is not steep enough and the feedback tend to become bassless very quickly.
I manage to put filters in another part of the signal flow and I'm starting to have a pretty good delay.

but a DC filter would be a good "security device" as I used to have on puredata.

cheers

caco

Post by caco » 07 Dec 2010, 09:15

Okay I had a few minutes to spare so I have created a new DC Blocker user module based on the filter described by Julius Smith for removing the DC in a signal circulating through a delay line. Sounds like what you want to do?

I haven't had chance to test the user module yet but I did plot the frequency response and that looked fine so I hopefully it will work okay. Let me know how you get on and if it is stable I will add it to the filter pack :)

Download beta version here

oli_lab

Post by oli_lab » 08 Dec 2010, 15:17

many thanks ! I try that ASAP olivar

caco

Post by caco » 05 May 2011, 13:43

At some point in the future (not sure when as very busy at the moment) I will be updating my filter pack, so does anyone have any feature requests?

I have been tweaking the SVF filter as a test so far and currently have:
-Reduced CPU usage by 50%
-Now using 64-bit floating point processing internally instead of 32-bit
-Added an outlet containing an array of the bins used to plot the frequency response
-Anti-aliased the frequency response to make it look nicer and added the ability to control the opacity of its fill
-Fixed (I think) the CPU spikes sometimes seen when the frequency response was redrawn

When I get time I will do this for the other filters and then release an updated pack but until then let me know if you have any thoughts for improvements.

nay-seven
Site Admin

Post by nay-seven » 05 May 2011, 15:15

Don't think right now to particular feature, but those new versions will be cool for sure !

caco

Post by caco » 06 May 2011, 09:50

It seems quite stable at the moment so if anyone wants to use it and see if the changes are an improvement or not then the new state variable filter can be downloaded here :)

23fx23

Post by 23fx23 » 06 May 2011, 21:01

cool! thanks caco!

nay-seven
Site Admin

Post by nay-seven » 07 May 2011, 08:08

thanks !

cephalopod

Post by cephalopod » 16 Aug 2015, 05:19

I tried to download this, but the domain seems to not exist anymore.
Any idea where I can currently get this filter pack?

nay-seven
Site Admin

Post by nay-seven » 26 Nov 2018, 20:14

Sadly this post is 8 years old, so the user probably did not maintain it ?

x.iso

Post by x.iso » 27 Nov 2018, 02:17

Now I'm curious, were those user-modules or other type on add-on? what's the difference between additional packs and add-ons?
join Hollyhock Usine Discord server: https://discord.gg/EdJarnE

oli_lab

Post by oli_lab » 27 Nov 2018, 11:44

It was user modules for Usine 5 !