Welcome to %s forums

BrainModular Users Forum

Login Register

windows 10 and audio interfaces

General Discussion about whatever fits..
sm_jamieson

windows 10 and audio interfaces

Post by sm_jamieson » 14 Apr 2020, 21:36

I have a Roland Duo Capture EX audio interface that seems to be playing up more with each Windows 10 update.
It worked perfectly on Windows 10 until sometime last year.
The audio output will cut out after between 5 minutes or half an hour. Switching it off and back on again will reset it,
and also sometimes just switching an audio output off and on in the Usine audio settings, which is weird.
It has done it just running Omnisphere, so its not Usine at fault.
If I use the Duo Capture via asio4all this does not happen, so I expect it is a Roland driver issue. Unfortunately Roland are not
the best at updating drivers.
Anyone else having problems with audio interfaces and Windows 10 ?
Thanks,
Simon.

sm_jamieson

Post by sm_jamieson » 17 Apr 2020, 13:55

Well, I contacted Roland, and basically the Duo Capture Ex is discontinued and out of support.
So I've ordered a FocusRite 4i4 (gen 3) which looks pretty good.
Simon.

NikosT

Post by NikosT » 20 Apr 2020, 23:00

I also have Focusrite 4i4 (gen 3). Be sure that you have installed the latest drivers. There are some problems with older drivers.

x.iso

Post by x.iso » 08 May 2020, 16:50

I've heard a lot about Focusrite having problems with drivers (them being poorly written).
also, Windows 10 build 1903 did have some problems with audio and it seems to be solved in 1909, but maybe not entirely. basically there was something causing DPC latency spikes. it's also a good idea to reset your Windows if possible after a big update.
join Hollyhock Usine Discord server: https://discord.gg/EdJarnE

sm_jamieson

Post by sm_jamieson » 18 May 2020, 21:57

Everyone says the drivers are crap on any audio interface that does not cost mega-bucks :roll:

Well the Focusrite 4i4 is doing the same thing as the Roland. I have all the latest drivers. I uninstalled all the audio devices (windows re-installs them on reboot) and the problem persists. When the sound cuts out, everything else works on the 4i4, changing the settings changes the lights on the front panel, etc.
It happened with windows 10 build 1903 and 1909. Did NOT happen in the 18xx series.
Since this happens with Roland and Focusrite it is obviously a problem in Windows 10.
I am thinking writing a dummy usb asio device driver to try and understand what is happening, but leaning curve is steep.
It seems like something is going to sleep or switch off and activating audio inputs or outputs or change the sample rate wakes it back up.
When it happens the Focusrite Control indicates no audio in the on-screen meters.
I wonder if any of the Usine programming team can help ?

sm_jamieson

Post by sm_jamieson » 19 May 2020, 17:05

I've raised a ticket with Focusrite.
I have tried uninstalling all the audio related drivers (windows reinstalls them on reboot) but the problem is still there.
I think it is a windows bug.

drakh

Post by drakh » 26 May 2020, 08:43

is it USB interface?
I have similar issues with USB controllers, and it is caused by windows power management.
There are two places in windows where you have to disable it.

Control Panel/Power Options/Advanced Plan settings/USB settings/USB selective suspending - set as disabled
Control Panel/Device Manager/Universal Serial Bus Controllers and disable "allow the computer to turn off this device" in each usb device in which "power management" tab is avialable

You need to disable it in both places to keep ech USB device ON.
And yeah after each major windows 10 update, windows resets these settings :( so you need to check it from time to time.
sm_jamieson wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 21:36
I have a Roland Duo Capture EX audio interface that seems to be playing up more with each Windows 10 update.
It worked perfectly on Windows 10 until sometime last year.
The audio output will cut out after between 5 minutes or half an hour. Switching it off and back on again will reset it,
and also sometimes just switching an audio output off and on in the Usine audio settings, which is weird.
It has done it just running Omnisphere, so its not Usine at fault.
If I use the Duo Capture via asio4all this does not happen, so I expect it is a Roland driver issue. Unfortunately Roland are not
the best at updating drivers.
Anyone else having problems with audio interfaces and Windows 10 ?
Thanks,
Simon.

damstraversaz

Post by damstraversaz » 27 May 2020, 14:05

You should take a look too on the IRQ settings of your computer ( system information utility of windows). Some Usb are on the same IRQ , sometime with graphics cards for exemple and it often make issue like. The solution is to find the best usb port of your system.

sm_jamieson

Post by sm_jamieson » 31 May 2020, 19:18

It is a USB interface yes. Note that some of the audio interface functions work - the interface is connected.
A have USB suspend and power control of the USB ports switched off. I also disabled Connected Standby, and I am running the Ultimate performance power plan.
The audio just stops, as if Windows just stop making it available to the driver - the audio endpoint or whatever its called.
The focusrite support sent me a new driver to try - same problem.
They seem pretty helpful. I expect the next stage would be some special driver creating lots of log files.
One thing I have learned over the years - its vary rare to have a unique problem - someone out there will be seeing the same thing.
The point is it worked until a certain version of Windows 10.
But it is not feasible for me to maintain an old version.

x.iso

Post by x.iso » 31 May 2020, 23:12

have you tried recent new update, version 2004?
join Hollyhock Usine Discord server: https://discord.gg/EdJarnE

sm_jamieson

Post by sm_jamieson » 02 Jul 2020, 22:45

Well Focusrite were very helpful but in the end it was the Dell hardware monitoring services on the laptop that were causing the trouble. I have now disabled all the Dell services and a load of unnecessary Window services and the laptop is running very well with audio.

drakh

Post by drakh » 03 Jul 2020, 15:11

yeah i tried it.

but my saffire 24 causes crashes (oh thunderbol3->thunderbolt2->firewire) so anytime i started usine i got BSOD because of safffire, which is strange, because, with traktor in asio mode it worksfine. anyway focusrite dropedthe support for saffire card. and they recommend using it with windows 1809 build.

Anyway then i tried my scarlet 6i6 and i got strange things with usine. somehow, ind windows sound panel it was running in 24b/44kHz. And the sound fromusine was totally glitchy. sdo i needed to play with buffersize, switched it to 16b/44khz in windows sound control panel, but it magically switched back to 24bit after selecting foccusrtie usb asio - but, this behaviour is only with usinee. with other audio software i am using it works well.

so i rollbacked to 1909..

and yeah i've got strange issues when i updated from 1809 to 1903 (and they remain in 1909) with usine... some strange random dropooffs appeared even with light workspaces which worked without any issue :(

x.iso wrote:
31 May 2020, 23:12
have you tried recent new update, version 2004?

senso
Site Admin

Post by senso » 11 Jul 2020, 14:40

BSOD means hardware issue. Very strange because Usine is not supposed to access to hardware level?

drakh

Post by drakh » 16 Jul 2020, 13:14

senso wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 14:40
BSOD means hardware issue. Very strange because Usine is not supposed to access to hardware level?
that BSOD is because windows is dropping support for some old drivers, and focusrite is dropping support for older hardware (shame on focusrite regarding this because Saffire is great piece of hardware but almost unusable with new windows because of this)

mainly i am using Hollyhock, Tracktion Waveform, and NI Traktor.

It seems that Traktor is using/initialising ASIO in different way as HH/Tracktion. because with win 2004 i had no problems running traktor and switching between different audio interfaces. with tracktion an HH i got BSOD..

senso
Site Admin

Post by senso » 17 Nov 2020, 07:12

maybe you can try ASIO4all ?

manarimnhkjgg

Post by manarimnhkjgg » 24 Jan 2023, 22:16

It looks like an issue with the drivers and it's frustrating when manufacturers aren't quick to update them. I know a lot of people have been experiencing similar problems with their audio interfaces and Windows 10 updates. Have you tried reaching out to Roland customer support? Also, have you tried looking for any third-party drivers or solutions online? Sometimes other users have found ways to fix the problem. If all else fails, you may also want to consider checking out some alternative audio interfaces that are known to work well with Windows 10 and you can buy cheap windows 10 key to use them.

gurulogic

Post by gurulogic » 01 Feb 2023, 05:06

I'm rock solid here in desktop Windows 11 / 12th gen intel cpu with my "vintage" RME hdspe + MultifaceII combo.
Running my Windows 10 laptop with a thunderbolt3 to thunderbolt 2 expresscard adapter for the RME, I have to make sure to load a very specific thunderbolt driver or the combo makes the system bsod, but otherwise very solid.

No, this doesn't necessarily help anyone who is currently having issues, but I figured I would put in my 2 cents that not all is broken moving forward. Hopefully these issues can be resolved. It sucks to lose perfectly good gear to obsolescence!